Design for seismic connection detailing is done per the AISC Seismic Design Manual, 2nd Edition (2010) which contains two documents: the AISC 341‐10 Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings and the AISC 358‐10 Prequalified Connections for Special and Intermediate Steel Moment Frames for Seismic Applications.
The following seismic connections are available:
Moment Frame Systems
- Column/Beam Direct Weld Moment Connection
- Reduced Beam Section Moment Connection (RBS)
- Welded Un‐reinforced Flange‐Welded Web Moment Connection (WUF-W)
- Column/Beam Extended End Plate Moment Connection
- Bolted Un‐stiffened Extended End Plate Moment Connection (BUEEP)
- Bolted Stiffened Extended End Plate Moment Connection (BSEEP)
- Column/Beam Flange Plate Moment Connection
- Bolted Flange Plate Moment Connection (BFP)
How to Create a Seismic Connection
First, select the appropriate connection type (from the list above), then select your frame ductility and prequalified connection type from the Seismic System entry under Connection Properties.
Next, enter the applicable seismic input in the Seismic Detailing section:
Any additional geometry options (such as for the RBD or WUF-W connections) are available under the Assembly section:
Once you have completed the input, you can review the results Report:
The seismic requirements are in addition to the existing AISC 360-10 (14th Edition) checks, so the new seismic checks show up at the bottom of the report.
Click on any of them to expand and see the details of the calculation.