September 7, 2021
Defining Connections: Beam to Girder Connections
The connection rule must be applied at the end of the beam (not the continuous girder).
Available Connection Types
Beam Shear Connections Only: (Shear tab, Clip angle, End plate)
- Single Clip Angle (One Side) Shear Connection
- Double Clip Angle (One Side) Shear Connection
- Double Clip Angle (Two-Sided) Shear Connection
- End Plate Shear Connection
- Shear Tab Shear Connection
Specific Connection Requirements
- Girders may only be Wide Flanges.
- Beams may be Wide Flanges. Tapered Wide Flanges or Channels (except for end plate shear)
- Double-sided connections available for clip angle shear connections into the girder web.
- Skewed connections available for Shear Tab (maximum beam skew angle is 45 degrees)
To learn more about the process of defining connections in RISA-3D or to review information about other connection types, check out the main article in this series (link below):
Related Articles: How to Define Steel Connections in RISAFloor & RISA-3D