February 5, 2014
How to model a Geodesic Dome in RISA-3D?
In modeling what would be a rather difficult geometric structure, by using the Templates database in RISA-3D, a geodesic dome can be constructed rather quickly and easily.
- Select the "Geodesic Dome" from the "Templates" drop-down found on the Home tab.
- The following dialog box will be displayed and you can enter in the necessary information for the geodesic dome generation:
- Platonic Solid Shape: Designates the overall shape, number and orientation of the geodesic dome
- Triangle Subdivision: Designates the number of triangle submesh per side of the triangular plate
- Polar Origin: Sets the origin (insertion) point of the dome
- Members: Allows for the creation of strut members using a material and pre-defined section set
- Plates: Allows for the generation of plates using a material and thickness
- Dome Height/Radius: Sets the geometry of the dome
Once the properties of the dome have been defined, click OK to generate the dome.